A simple recipe for bread and butter pickles that's prepared in minutes then refrigerated to soak up the incredibly delicious sweet and spicy brine. No canning, no fuss.
Go. Run! Grab some kirby cucumbers and make these pickles ASAP. Kirby cukes are the little cute ones you find in the market and they’re perfect for pickling. They’re so cute you can’t miss them. Grab a pound or two and start pickling. If you grow your own it's even better because you'll want to make these delicious bread and butter pickles over and over.
You’ll need a quart size mason jar - I use this one. It’s beautiful and functional. Since this method of pickling is super easy, you won’t have to worry about having all that canning stuff. I rather do it this way for two reasons:
- These are so good, they won’t last long so I don’t have to worry about storing them in the cellar for a year. They’ll be gone by the end of the week.
- I received a jar as a wedding gift with a note stating to be careful because they weren’t sure if they canned it correctly and suggested eating them sooner than later or botulism may kill us. Yes, true story. No, I no longer speak to these people.
This next step is easy. All you do is boil the brine and pour it over the sliced cucumbers, a little sweet sliced onions (because yum!), a few smashed cloves of garlic, and a handful of fresh dill. A few sprigs should do fine and there's no need to chop.
Let it cool on the counter. Once it’s cooled, seal it and stick it in the fridge. I’ve had these after a few hours because I’m an impatient person. They’re delicious. Let them sit longer and they are even more delicious. They will last 4 weeks in the fridge.
Bread and butter pickles are great alone or in sandwiches. Add them to your tuna or chicken salad or any salad for that matter.
I’m telling you - anyone can make this. And if you give these as a wedding gift, make sure they’re cold and the couple eats them within a few weeks. They may last longer than some marriages!
Love bread and butter pickles? Try:
Have you seen these?
See More Recipes →
Life is too short for mediocre food.
Quick Refrigerator Bread and Butter PicklesPRINT PIN
- 1 pound kirby pickling cucumbers, sliced ¼”
- ½ sweet onion thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves peeled and smashed
- Small handful fresh dill sprigs about 6 long sprigs
- 1 cup vinegar
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt recommended: Diamond Crystal
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the pickling brine and bring to a soft boil. Stir until sugar and salt are dissolved. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place the onions in a 1 quart mason jar. Add the garlic and the dill. Add the cucumbers and push them down to fit them all in.
- Pour the vinegar mixture into the jar to cover the cucumbers. Push them down to submerge. Leave the jar uncovered on counter until cooled. Seal the jar and gently shake over and under. Place in the refrigerator and let it sit at least a few hours to flavor. Best served next day. These will last for 4 weeks in the fridge but there's so good they’ll be gone by then.
More Delicious Salads
See More Salads →
Leave a Comment