This version of Chicken Cordon Bleu is assembled in minutes, and requires no rolling, dredging, or frying. Ham and cheese are sandwiched between two chicken breasts, topped with a creamy sauce, coated with toasted breadcrumbs, and baked until golden brown.
To all the purists out there, look away. I call this recipe simple for a reason. The only thing you have to do is slice the chicken breast in half lengthwise all the way through. No pounding is required. I don’t like to pound a harmless chicken breast because I feel it toughens it. Besides, what did the chicken breast ever do to you?
From there, everything is layered. Half of the breast is covered with the ham and cheese, then the other half of the breast is placed on top. The sauce is spread evenly over the breast, then the breadcrumbs are sprinkled over the sauce. How easy is that?
I made sure this recipe could be scaled up or down to make it even easier. For every chicken breast you’ll use:
2 tablespoons of panko breadcrumbs
a drizzle of olive oil
Pinch of paprika
1 ounce of ham
1 ounce of cheese
1 tablespoon of mayo
1 tablespoon of Dijon
1 tablespoon Parmesan or Romano cheese
If you want a golden color for your breadcrumbs, you need to toast them for 3 minutes in the oven. It can be done while you’re gathering the other ingredients. When it’s done toasting, put it in a bowl and mix in some paprika which adds a little flavor and some more color.
As for the ham, I highly recommend it’s shredded because it can be piled on and it binds beautifully with the cheese. Each slice of Swiss cheese is folded into thirds and placed on top of the ham. The other half of the breast is placed on top, the mayo mustard mixture is spread on, then the whole thing is sprinkled with toasted breadcrumbs.
The chicken is baked until the cheese oozes out and it looks de- lush-ous! It only takes about 25 minutes and you have a great meal. I don’t use a sauce to top this because I feel there’s enough flavor in this chicken cordon bleu to hold its own. Besides, I don’t want to mess with the crunchy top.
Try some of my other chicken dishes:
- Broiled mustard garlic chicken breasts
- Chipotle chicken with grilled peaches
- Grilled garlic and herb spatchcock chicken
- Roasted chicken leg quarters
- Adobo seasoned crack wings
- Slow roasted chicken
- Simple roast chicken
Life is too short for mediocre food.
This post contains affiliate links for the products I use in my kitchen.
Simple Chicken Cordon BleuPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spread breadcrumbs on a baking sheet and drizzle with just enough olive oil to moisten - about 1 tablespoon. Bake for 3 minutes or until light golden. Transfer into a bowl and mix in paprika. Set aside.
- Divide the ham into four piles and place one pile on each bottom of chicken breasts.
- Fold the cheese into thirds and place on top of the ham.
- Top each breast with the other half.
- Mix the mayonnaise, mustard, and Parmesan in a bowl. Spread evenly onto the tops of the chicken.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs over the top of each breast.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, until golden and cooked through.