Cowboy caviar is a concoction of beans, corn, peppers, onion, and cilantro all tossed together with a delicious dressing and it’s simple to prepare too. No need to spend tons of money on those little fish eggs when you can whip up a batch of this. Tastes better too.
Ok, I’ll admit it. I haven’t tried caviar, and if I did I probably wasn’t sober. Because I can’t picture myself eating expensive fish eggs just to impress anybody. Nor would I spend tons of money to do it. But, if you offered me cowboy caviar, I’d eat it up and probably hoard it all.
This is some good stuff and it’s colorful which makes it enticing. It draws you in thinking “what is that?”. Then out of curiosity, you scoop some up and you get all these flavors exploding in your mouth. Yum.
Open up a can of black beans and a can of black eyed peas (not the band hahaha), and then mix it with some frozen corn. No need to thaw. As for the peppers, add a red one and an orange one, and even a yellow one if you like. Dice them small or use this handy tool to get the perfect dice in a fraction of the time. If you want you can make it all red or all orange, etc. But if you’re looking for a colorful, beautiful dish, then add all the colors you can. Now add a green jalapeno, a red onion, and some cilantro. Can you visualize this? Pretty, huh?
FOR THE DRESSING:
We add a little oil - you can make it extra virgin olive oil or use a neutral oil like avocado. Add a little lime, a little red wine vinegar, a little honey, and some spices. Whisk it together or shake it up in a jar.
Toss everything together and you have yourself a great cowboy caviar. Grab some tortilla chips and scoop some up. Mmmmmmm. Good, right? Am I right? Ha!
MORE DELICIOUS DIPS FOR YOU TO ENJOY
You can prepare this ahead and toss it with the dressing when you are ready to serve. Once it’s tossed the flavors all start to marry and it’s all about flavor. Use it as a dip or use it to top chicken, pork, or whatever you please.
LOVE COWBOY CAVIAR? THEN TRY:
Life is too short for mediocre food.
HAVE YOU SEEN THESE?
Cowboy CaviarPRINT PIN SAVE
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) black eyed peas rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn doesn’t need to be thawed
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 orange bell pepper diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper diced
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper finely diced, seeded and ribs removed*
- ½ medium red onion diced
- 1 big handful cilantro chopped
- Add the caviar ingredients in a large bowl.
- Whisk dressing ingredients in a small bowl until combined. You could also add the dressing ingredients in a small jar and shake shake shake until well combined.
- When ready to serve, add the dressing over the caviar ingredients and toss until it’s all combined. Taste and adjust for salt and pepper. Serve with tortilla chips or use it as a topping for fish, chicken, pork, or whatever you like.
I don't post the nutritional value because I don't trust the accuracy of the nutritional apps. I’m not a nutritionist and don't want to post misinformation.