It only takes a few minutes to prepare these incredibly delicious Greek chicken kabobs that will become one of your go-to meals this summer or any time of the year. Did I mention these are incredibly delicious?
Chunks of chicken are marinated in a simple-to-prepare marinade consisting of olive oil, lemon juice and spices. There’s no chopping involved since all the spices, including the oregano and onion, are dried. Rather than using granulated onion powder, I use dried chopped onions for texture and flavor. I’m telling you, this is delicious, easy and quick.
You only need one to four hours of marinating time then you’re ready to go. I don’t recommend marinating overnight because you’re using chunks of chicken and not the whole breast. The acid in the marinade can make it “mushy” if left too long. I left it overnight and it’s still delicious but the chicken does break down. All I’m saying is sometimes longer isn’t better. We are still talking marinating here so wherever your mind just wandered, bring it back to cooking!
I only used chicken breasts for this recipe, which I slice into about 2” chunks. I’m sure this would work perfectly with thighs. As for cooking times, it depends on:
- your grill
- how hot your grill gets
- if the thermometer on your grill isn’t working - like mine so it’s guessing from the start
- if you’re paying attention
- if there’s a full moon
Basically, cook until done. I know that might shock you but it really depends on you. We cook these for 10 - 15 minutes but it may take less time if your heat is hot or more time if you are cooking on indirect heat. Just pay attention and cut into one after about 10 minutes. You are smart enough - I know you are! - to tell by looking and poking and cutting into one. I hate these blogs that make you feel dumb by telling you nonsense stuff. I can’t even show you examples because it makes my blood pressure go up. Use common sense. I know you guys are smart.
I don’t like mixing meat with veggies on skewers - it’s all about the meat with me. Again, we are talking kabobs! Although they look pretty, they don’t cook right. Therefore, I tend to grill onions that are sliced root to stem, drizzled with some olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper. Just grill them on the side. You can grill some peppers prepared the same way or serve with whatever vegetable you like because you make the rules.
Love these Greek chicken kabobs? Try:
- Crispy baked chicken tenders
- Simple chicken cordon bleu
- Broiled mustard garlic chicken breasts
- Chipotle chicken with grilled peaches
- Juicy grilled lemon herb chicken breasts
- Roasted chicken leg quarters (one of my most popular recipes)
- Simple roast chicken
- Slow roasted chicken (worth the wait!)
- Italian chicken cutlets (makes phenomenal sandwiches!)
- Grilled rosemary spatchcock chicken
Serve these Greek chicken kabobs with one of these delicious sides:
- Spinach watermelon feta salad with lime vinaigrette
- Sweet and tangy cucumber salad
- Mexican street corn salad
- Peruvian oil and vinegar potato salad
- Macaroni salad
- Spinach and cheese pasta salad
- Simple creamy coleslaw
- 30 minute bourbon baked beans
- Perfect rice
- Cilantro lime rice
Life is too short for mediocre food.
Greek Chicken KabobsPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- Transfer the chunks of chicken into a zip top bag.
- Combine the olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, dried minced onion, oregano, salt and pepper into a measuring cup and give it a stir. Add it to the chicken and squeeze the bottom of the bag to mix the marinade with the chicken. Squeeze out the air from the bag and seal it.
- Flatten it out so the chicken is in one layer. Let it marinate for one hour and up to four. You can marinate longer, just note the chicken will start to break down. I do not recommend marinating overnight for the kabobs.
- Preheat your grill to medium high. Add the kabobs - I top them with any remaining marinade. Cook for about 10 - 15 minutes, turning at least once. I check for doneness by cutting into one or using a meat thermometer (which I don’t use). If you use one, it should register 160 degrees. It will continue to cook as it rests.
More Delicious Chicken Recipes
See More Chicken →