Lentil Vegetable Soup is healthy, hearty, delicious, and a great way to get all your vegetables in one meal. Throw the ingredients in a pot and simmer. Can also be cooked low and slow in a crockpot.
This is one of those feel good soups that you can add to your collection. It can be made vegetarian by substituting the chicken stock for vegetable stock. It’s thick and loaded with flavor from all the seasonings. The first time I made it my family raved about it. I have to be honest, I was a little hesitant because it’s all vegetables and they usually like something with meat in it.
It only takes about 45 - 50 minutes simmering on low on the stovetop. If you want to use a crockpot, cook it for 4 hours on high or 6 - 8 on low. Talk about easy; just set it and forget it.
The seasonings give lots of flavor and the turmeric adds some golden color. Red wine vinegar is added to brighten up the soup and olive oil is added to give it flavor and a velvety feel on your tongue. There’s 8 cloves of garlic in this soup so there’s no need to worry about vampires bothering you.
After the soup simmers for awhile, it’s finished off with a few handfuls of chopped baby spinach and parsley. You’re getting plenty of good stuff here. You can use frozen chopped spinach if you like. Just add half of a bag and stir it in the soup to warm it up.
If you’re looking to get all your veggies in for the day, this lentil vegetable soup will certainly do the task. Serve with a few shavings of Parmesan or Romano and some crusty bread and you have a fabulous meal.
Want more great soups? You must try:
- Peruvian shrimp soup
- French lentil soup with bacon
- Sweet potato vegetable soup
- Silky smooth cauliflower soup
- Simple silky smooth gazpacho
- Chicken and rice soup
- Potato leek soup
- Homemade chicken soup
- Beef barley soup
Life is too short for mediocre food.
This post contains affiliate links for the products I use in my kitchen.
Lentil Vegetable SoupPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 pound butternut squash 1 pound frozen bag
- 1 pound carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 pound potatoes peeled and chopped
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 1 large sweet onion chopped
- 8 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 cups lentils - any color I use red
- 3 cups or 2 handfuls of baby spinach chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parsley chopped
- Shaved Parmesan or Romano cheese
- Add all Soup and Seasoning ingredients in a large stockpot. Bring to a boil then lower to a simmer. Simmer for 45 - 50 minutes, giving it a stir occasionally.
- Remove the bay leaves and discard.
- Ladle a few cups of soup into a blender and blend until it just becomes smooth. Add back to the soup creating a thicker base.
- Add the chopped spinach and parsley and stir. I use frozen because it’s easier, but you can use fresh and chop it up. You will need about 3 cups or 2 good handfuls if using fresh.
- Taste and adjust with salt and pepper, if desired. Discard bay leaves.
- Serve topped with a few shavings of Parmesan or Romano cheese and some crusty bread, if desired.
- Add all the Soup and Seasonings ingredients into a 6-quart crockpot. Stir and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 - 8 hours.
- Continue with step 2 above.