A quick and simple pumpkin French toast casserole baked with a pumpkin spiced custard flavored with a touch of bourbon then topped with a delicious pecan streusel. Can be prepared ahead or baked right away.
But wait, there’s more. Want to take it to the next level? Drizzle it with maple butter, which is simply made with real pure maple syrup and melted butter.
If you need to feed a crowd, and that crowd loves pumpkin, then this pumpkin French toast casserole is for you. I don’t skimp on the pumpkin or the spice. I use my homemade pumpkin spice, but if you want to use bottled, that will work as well.
I used my French toast casserole recipe as a base and made changes to accommodate the added pumpkin and streusel topping. Maple syrup is used in the custard which pairs beautifully with the pumpkin. Instead of slicing the bread like I did in my French toast casserole, I tore the bread into chunks. Just felt like the right thing to do.
This is super simple to prepare:
- Tear up the bread and put it in a casserole dish - 9 x 13 or similar.
- Whisk the pumpkin, cream, milk, eggs, bourbon, maple syrup, and spices together in a big bowl.
- Pour it evenly over the bread and gently press down to ensure it’s all coated.
- Mix the streusel ingredients together in a bowl then scatter it over the casserole.
- At this point, you can cover it and refrigerate overnight. Otherwise, continue.
- Bake for 40 - 50 minutes.
- Mix melted butter with maple syrup and either pour it over the casserole before serving or drizzle some over each serving or both. Whatever makes you happy. You can make more and you probably will because it’s damn good.
If you love pumpkin, you’ll love this pumpkin French toast casserole. And it's over-the-top with the maple butter syrup.
Life is too short for mediocre food.
More Delicious Pumpkin Recipes
Have you seen these?
Pumpkin French Toast CasserolePRINT PIN
- 1 (1 pound) loaf challah or brioche bread
- 2 cups milk whole or 2%
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon bourbon or vanilla
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin spice
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup pecans roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons butter melted, salted or unsalted
- Slice or tear the bread into chunks and place the pieces in the baking dish.
- Whisk together the milk, heavy cream, pumpkin, eggs, bourbon, salt, and syrup in a large bowl. If you have a large measuring cup, use it instead for ease of pouring.
- Slowly pour the liquid all over the bread, gently pushing down allowing the bread to soak up the liquid.
- Combine the streusel topping ingredients in a bowl.
- Sprinkle topping over the casserole.
- At this point, you can cover with wrap and place in the refrigerator overnight. Let it sit out while the oven preheats.
When you're ready to bake:
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake for 40 - 50 minutes. The casserole will be puffed, but will start to deflate after it's removed from the oven.
- Stir together the maple syrup and butter in a measuring cup. You may want to microwave for about 30 seconds to warm up the syrup.
- You can drizzle each serving with the maple butter or you can pour it all or half of it over the casserole before serving. If pouring half of it, use the remaining for serving. It’s up to you.
More Delicious Breakfast Ideas:
See More Breakfast →
Leave a Comment