Roasted Asparagus with Mozzarella makes a perfect side to any weeknight or elegant meal. Thick asparagus stalks are roasted until tender, topped with fresh mozzarella, then drizzled with a simple lemon dressing.
My family loves asparagus and I serve them often as a side. I wanted to try something new and used the ingredients I had onhand to create a simple yet interesting way to serve one of our favorite vegetables.
It’s simple to roast asparagus; just drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper and roast for 15 minutes or so. The magic happens when the cheese and the dressing are added.
I have a small Meyer lemon tree and it graces me with about 5 lemons a year. I use those lemons for special dishes and this is definitely special. I use the zest and juice and mix it with grated garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. If you don’t have Meyer lemons, regular lemons are fine to use.
Once the asparagus are roasted and tender, I make bundles of 4 asparagus per person, top the bundles with a slice of fresh mozzarella, then spoon the lemon dressing over the cheese. The asparagus is placed back into the oven for a few minutes to melt the cheese slightly. You’ll start to smell the garlic as it becomes fragrant from the heat. It truly smells amazing.
Make roasted asparagus with mozzarella and serve it as a light lunch or side to any meal. It doesn’t have to be for a special occasion as it’s easy to make. Not only is roasted asparagus with mozzarella delicious, it makes a beautiful presentation. Each little bundle is a serving. This recipe can also be doubled or tripled. Enjoy!
Try more delicious side dishes:
- Peas and Pancetta
- Curry Roasted Cauliflower
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
- Roasted Baby Potatoes with Rosemary and Thyme
Life is too short for mediocre food.
Roasted Asparagus with MozzarellaPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 16 large thick asparagus spears snapped and bottoms peeled*
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 garlic clove grated
- 4 (½”) slices fresh mozzarella
- Kosher or sea salt
- Preheat oven 425°.
- Place asparagus on parchment and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 15 minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine remaining olive oil, lemon juice, zest, garlic, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix with a small whisk or fork until combined and set aside.
- Group the roasted asparagus into 4 bundles. Top each bundle with a slice of fresh mozzarella then spoon the dressing over mozzarella.
- Place baking sheet back into oven for 3 - 5 minutes until the garlic is fragrant and mozzarella just starts to melt.