There’s something about roasting vegetables that brings out their natural sweetness by caramelizing the outside while keeping the inside nice and tender. Roasted Asparagus with Parmesan delivers another level of flavor by coating the asparagus with my homemade Italian dressing to give it zing and grated Parmesan cheese to bring it to the next level.
You can opt for the pencil thin stalks or the thicker meaty ones. For roasting, I recommend the thicker ones as they keep from drying and shriveling up from the heat. You tell me. Would you like a shriveled up dry stalk or a nice tender meaty one?
Before you coat the asparagus, you need to remove the ends because they tend to be woody and fibrous. What happens if you don’t trim the fibrous woody part? Well, it doesn’t break down easily and if you took a bite of it, you will end up chewing forever. Picture a cow chewing cud. What’s the best way to trim? Usually, if I’m dealing with thinner stalks, I snap off the ends. But when it comes to roasting, as I stated before, the thicker ones are best. To trim those, I cut about 2 inches off the bottoms which are lighter in color and appear more woody. After slicing off the ends, you can peel the outer skins a few inches from the bottom to reveal the tender meaty inside. Peeling is optional and I don’t do it all the time. Only when the stalks are thick and doing so will improve the texture making them more tender.
What’s in my Italian dressing that gives these asparagus a boost of flavor? Garlic, onion, oregano, and crushed red pepper are just a few ingredients as well as olive oil and red wine vinegar to brighten the dressing.
To prepare, grab a baking sheet. You can line with parchment for easy cleanup if you wish. Place the trimmed asparagus on the baking sheet, drizzle with dressing then sprinkle with Parmesan. Toss the asparagus with your hands to coat, then spread them in a single layer, roast for 15 minutes, and you have a simple side that’s both easy and delicious.
Roasted Asparagus with Parmesan is the perfect accompaniment to any meal. Enjoy.
Pair this with…
You may also like…
- Roasted Spiced Sweet Potatoes
- Roasted Baby Potatoes with Rosemary and Thyme
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
Roasted Asparagus with ParmesanPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 pound asparagus
- ¼ cup my Italian Dressing
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven 425 degrees.
- Snap or cut about 2 inches off the ends of the asparagus which are lighter in color and appear more woody. After slicing off the ends, you can peel the outer skins a few inches from the bottom to reveal the tender meaty inside.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment for easy cleanup if you like.
- Place the trimmed asparagus on the baking sheet, drizzle with dressing then sprinkle with Parmesan. Toss with your hands to coat, then spread in a single layer.
- Roast for 15 minutes until tender but firm.