These roasted spiced sweet potato planks are nothing short of fantastic! Super easy to prepare and has only 5 ingredients.
Here’s the thing, this recipe is so easy and delicious, there’s nothing else to say. These roasted sweet potato planks aren’t meant to be crunchy. Instead, the sweet potatoes are sliced thick and the outcome is a sweet flavorful top, a velvety center, and if you’re lucky, a few crisp edges.
Roasted spiced sweet potato planks are a perfect side to any dish. Make it a light meal paired with a salad or serve it for breakfast with some eggs. There’s no fuss making these and anyone can do it. This recipe only has 5 ingredients – sweet potatoes, sugar, chili powder, kosher salt and oil.
Size of the sweet potatoes
I tend to buy my sweet potatoes on the larger side. I pick larger potatoes with the average weight of roughly 12 ounces or so. One potato per person is generally how I roll – usually 4 – 5 slices per potato/person knowing there may be leftovers which make a great snack or lunch.
Getting good color right off the bat is from heating the baking sheet in the oven for about 5 minutes to get it good and hot. Because the pan is hot, when the oil is added, it flows easier allowing it to coat the bottom of the pan. A little oil is all you need for these.
Want more sweet potato recipes? Try my roasted spiced sweet potatoes which are similar to these roasted sweet potato planks, but with more spice and no sugar added, sweet potato vegetable soup, and sweet potato casserole which is always requested for the holiday table.
Make these roasted spiced sweet potato planks and I’ll bet even a non sweet potato lover will love them.
Be happy, eat well.
This post contains affiliate links.
Roasted Spiced Sweet Potato PlanksPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven for 5 minutes to get it hot.
- Meanwhile, peel the sweet potatoes.
- Slice them into ½ slices - we’re not looking for super crisp for this one but rather a soft velvety inside and maybe some crispy edges if we’re lucky.
- Remove pan from oven and drizzle with the oil then tilt the pan to make sure the surface is coated.
- Arrange the slices on the hot oiled baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. I use a neutral oil for the pan, but you can use olive oil or coconut oil.
- After 20 minutes, flip them over and sprinkle with the spice and roast another 30 minutes. I only spice the one side and it’s perfect and make sure you use all the spice.
- If you’re looking for more color or caramelization, put these under a broiler for a minute. Make sure you check them so they don’t go from caramelized to burnt.
- Any leftovers can be heated up under a broiler for a minute or two or heated in a toaster oven.