Spinach Watermelon Feta Salad – Baby spinach flavored with the juices of fresh cubed watermelon, creamy chunks of feta cheese, sweet sliced red onion, with pistachios for a wonderful crunch, all drizzled with a delicious lime vinaigrette. You’re going to love this salad!
This salad has always intrigued me. Last week, we dined out and I only order items that I haven’t or won’t make at home. Honestly, I prefer to eat at home where I can be as loud or as quiet as I like, we can have seconds, and I don’t have to worry about the service. One item on the menu caught my eye. It was a spinach watermelon feta salad with a lime vinaigrette. Finally, I could see what all the fuss was about.
The salad was simple. A bed of baby spinach, some cubed watermelon, a few cubes of minted feta cheese, thickly sliced red onions, pistachios, all covered with a lime vinaigrette. The salad was refreshing, but the vinaigrette included cumin which made it taste a little harsh. Because the onions were thickly sliced, it overpowered every bite therefore, I placed them to the side. I knew I could recreate this at home and it would be delicious.
The lime vinaigrette is the perfect compliment for this salad and has equal amounts of lime juice and olive oil whereas vinaigrettes are usually 1 part acid to 2 parts oil. The reason for the 1 to 1 ratio is because the juices of the watermelon release and mix with the vinaigrette which mellows out the acidity. There’s really no need for the extra oil. I’m telling you, you will be tempted to drink the juices remaining at the bottom of the salad bowl. Another reason to eat at home – no one will judge you.
The thing about this recipe is you can control the amount of salad ingredients. I’ll give a recommendation, but if you want it loaded with watermelon, then by all means load it up.
I have to say, my recreation surpassed the restaurant’s. You don’t have to go out to a fancy restaurant to enjoy this salad. You also won’t be judged if you drink the liquid at the bottom of the bowl. Go ahead, drink it up.
Try some of my other salads:
Life is too short for mediocre food.
Spinach Watermelon Feta Salad with Lime VinaigrettePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 - 3 big handfuls of baby spinach - about 4 - 6 ounces
- 4 cups cubed watermelon - more or less
- 4 ounces or so of crumbled feta cheese
- ½ small red onion thinly sliced
- ½ cup salted and toasted pistachio nuts
- Combine salad ingredients into a big bowl or layer the ingredients onto a platter starting with the spinach, following with the watermelon, onions, feta, and pistachios.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all vinaigrette ingredients. Pour over salad and toss to combine or if serving on a platter, simply drizzle vinaigrette over the top.