Watermelon Feta Salad - Baby spinach flavored with the juices of fresh cubed watermelon, creamy chunks of feta cheese, sweet sliced red onion, with pistachios for a wonderful crunch, all drizzled with a delicious lime vinaigrette. You're going to love this salad!
This is a simple salad but a damn good one. Grab a few handfuls of baby spinach and combine that with cubes of watermelon, red onion, feta, and roasted pistachios. This is a great way to use up watermelon. In fact, once you try this salad, you'll be buying lots of watermelon just to enjoy this. I have eaten the entire bowl and I'm not ashamed.
Make sure to thinly slice the red onion. If it's cut thick, it will make each bite harsh and we don't want that. Thinly sliced strands of red onion contrasts beautifully with the sweetness of the watermelon and it also cuts through the creaminess of the feta. This is a well orchestrated salad. Every ingredient works in perfect harmony.
The lime vinaigrette is the perfect compliment for this salad and has equal amounts of lime juice and olive oil, whereas vinaigrettes are usually one part acid to two parts oil. The reason for the 1:1 ratio is because the watermelon juices release and mix with the vinaigrette to mellow out the acidity. There’s really no need for the extra oil. I’m telling you, you will be tempted to drink the juice remaining on the bottom of the salad bowl. I have to say I actually have! Another reason to eat at home - no one will judge you.
The thing about this recipe is you can control the amount of salad ingredients. I'll give a recommendation, but if you want it loaded with watermelon, then by all means load it up.
Do use a good extra virgin olive oil for this recipe. Use the best you have because it makes or breaks the vinaigrette.
Love this watermelon feta salad? Try:
- Sweet and tangy cucumber salad
- Mexican street corn salad
- Sonoma chicken salad
- Peruvian oil and vinegar potato salad
Life is too short for mediocre food.
Have you seen these?
Watermelon Feta Salad with Lime VinaigrettePRINT PIN SAVE
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach
- 4 cups cubed watermelon - more or less
- 4 ounces or so of crumbled feta cheese
- ½ small red onion thinly sliced
- ½ cup salted and toasted pistachio nuts you can roughly chop, if desired
- Combine salad ingredients into a big bowl or layer the ingredients onto a platter starting with the spinach, following with the watermelon, onions, feta, and pistachios.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all vinaigrette ingredients. Pour over salad and toss to combine or if serving on a platter, simply drizzle vinaigrette over the top.
I don't post the nutritional value because I don't trust the accuracy of the nutritional apps. I’m not a nutritionist and don't want to post misinformation.
More Delicious Salads
See More Salads →