Sweet Potato Vegetable Soup
This hearty Sweet Potato Vegetable Soup is a wonderful way to get in your vegetables and making you feel good about what you’re putting into your body. Extremely easy to prepare and I offer a stovetop and crockpot version - both effortless even for the novice cook.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 50 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
- 1 pound sweet potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 pound potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 pound butternut squash peeled and chopped
- 1 pound baby carrots cut in half
- 3 celery stalks chopped (include leaves if you have them)
- 1 large onion chopped
- 8 garlic cloves chopped
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 4 cups water
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup frozen chopped kale or spinach
- Parmesan or Romano cheese for topping
Add all Soup and Seasoning ingredients in a large stockpot. Bring to a boil then lower to a simmer. Simmer, uncovered, for 45 - 50 minutes, giving it a stir occasionally.
Remove the bay leaves and discard.
Ladle a few cups of soup into a blender and blend until it just becomes smooth. Add back to the soup creating a thicker base.
Add the kale (or spinach) and parsley and stir. I use frozen because it’s easier, but you can use fresh and chop it up. You will need about 3 cups or 2 good handfuls if using fresh.
Taste and adjust with salt and pepper, if desired.
Serve topped with a few shavings of Parmesan or Romano cheese and some crusty bread, if desired.