Cilantro Lime Rice makes a tasty side brightening up any dish. The color of the rice shows it's loaded with cilantro while the zest and juice of the lime creates an explosion of flavor. Serve as a side, in a wrap, or to make a burrito bowl.
Combining cilantro with rice is a common thing in Peruvian cooking so it was no surprise that combination would be a winner. What did surprise me was the addition of lime. The first time I tried it was at Chipotle’s, probably like everyone else. But being a connoisseur of cilantro rice already, I can tell you this version is superb and I state that with confidence. Well, unless you don’t like cilantro...or lime...
The rice is made slightly different to my aptly named perfect rice. I use minced garlic and sauté it just until fragrant. Then the rice is added and stirred, coating it with the garlic and oil giving it a head start in flavor.
Instead of adding plain water, I blend the water with half of the cilantro then add it to the rice. The cilantro is pulverized bringing out all that flavor which gets absorbed by the rice. But wait, there’s more. You chop the other half of cilantro and mix that in after the rice is cooked. Now, you’re adding a fresh cilantro taste to the already cilantro flavored rice.
Same goes for the lime. The lime zest is added to the rice along with the cilantro water and salt. After the rice is cooked and fluffed with a fork, the lime juice is added with the reserved chopped cilantro to bring out a fresh citrusy flavor.
This rice is delicious and makes a great side to any dish. If serving more than four, I recommend making double.
Now, go make this Cilantro Lime Rice and enjoy.
Try my other rice dishes:
Pairs wonderfully with, but not limited to:
- Slow Roasted Chicken
- Roasted Chicken Leg Quarters
- Oven Baked BBQ Pork Tenderloin
- Adobo Roasted Pork Loin
Cilantro Lime RicePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium clove garlic minced
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 cup packed cilantro leaves and tender stems divided
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 teaspoon fine salt recommended: Diamond Crystal
- Zest of 1 lime
- 3 tablespoons of lime juice - about 1 lime
- Add half of the cilantro into a blender and blend with the water and set aside.
- Add oil to a 1½ or 2 quart saucepan over medium high heat.
- Saute garlic until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the rice until rice is coated with oil then slowly add in cilantro water, salt, and lime zest.
- Bring to a boil then lower to a simmer and cover. Cook for 20 minutes then remove from heat. Fluff rice with a fork.
- Chop remaining cilantro. Stir in lime juice and chopped cilantro and toss until distributed.Serve with anything you want to make delicious.