A melt-in-your-mouth single layer blueberry cake filled with juicy sweet blueberries and a hint of amaretto that's perfect for breakfast, brunch, snacking or dessert.
This is a simple cake to prepare, making it a quick-and-easy treat for any and all occasions. It’s also ideal in size because it’s baked in an 8-inch square pan. This blueberry cake is flavored with a touch of amaretto which gives it a hint of almond to bring out the other sweet and rich flavors. If you don’t want to use amaretto, you can use a little almond extract.
Buttermilk is used to give it a slight tang and great texture. Only a half a cup is used and if you don’t have buttermilk, you can make your own by just adding a touch of lemon juice before gathering your other ingredients. This will give the milk time to thicken up.
I’ve made this with fresh blueberries but if you want to use frozen, it’s fine. Just don’t thaw them out. The blueberries are tossed with a little flour before being mixed in so they don’t sink to the bottom.
The important thing when preparing this cake is to beat for the recommended time. It’s important to beat the butter and sugar for at least 3 minutes - ultimately 5 is even better. We want fluffy. When the eggs are added you need to beat for 2 minutes more. After you beat in the flour and buttermilk, stop the mixer and switch to a spatula. Fold in the berries and any flour remaining in the bowl by hand.
The top of this cake is sprinkled with some sugar before being baked to give it a crisp and delicious topping. If the cake if covered, the topping will soften but still be delicious.
I use a glass 8-inch square pan which makes it the perfect size for my family. If you want to double the recipe, then use a 9x13-inch glass pan and adjust the baking time but still check after the lower recommended time. You may have to add a few minutes. If a toothpick comes out clean, it’s done.
If you love this melt in your mouth blueberry cake then you must try:
- Ultimate chocolate sheet cake
- Maria’s pisco cake
- Dad’s favorite apple cake
- Banana bundt cake with cream cheese icing
- Simple crumb coffee cake
Life is too short for mediocre food.
More Delicious Cakes
See More Cakes →
Melt In Your Mouth Single Layer Blueberry CakePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 ¾ cups flour plus 2 tablespoons of flour for the blueberries
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon fine salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup sugar plus 1 tablespoon for topping
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- ½ cup buttermilk See Notes
- 2 cups blueberries fresh or frozen See Notes
- 1 ½ teaspoons amaretto or vanilla See Notes
- Preheat oven 350°.
- Spray or grease a square 8-inch baking pan. You can line it with parchment and spray that also if you like.
- If you’re making your own buttermilk, do that now. See notes.
- Toss the blueberries with the 2 tablespoons of flour gently with a fork until the blueberries are coated. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk the remaining flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside
- Beat the butter and 1 cup of sugar on medium high speed for 3 minutes until lightened in color. It's important to beat for at least 3 minutes to get the proper texture.
- Add the eggs, and beat for another 2 minutes. The batter should be light in color and fluffy. Scrape down the bowl.
- Add half of the flour mixture and beat just until it is combined.
- Add the amaretto and all of the buttermilk and beat just until it is mixed in. It will look curdled but that’s ok.
- Add remaining flour mixture and beat for 30 seconds until it’s combined.
- Using a spatula, fold in the blueberries and the remaining flour in the bowl. You can reserve a few of the blueberries to sprinkle on top before sprinkling on the sugar.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared pan. If you reserved a few blueberries, scatter them on top then sprinkle the top evenly with the tablespoon of sugar. Bake for 40 - 45 minutes. Depending on the oven, you may have to bake as long as 50 minutes. Check with a toothpick for doneness. I’ve baked this using 2 different ovens and found the time to vary by as much as 10 minutes.
- Place the cake on a cooling rack to cool. Serve and enjoy.
More Delicious Recipes
See More Recipes →