A simple, no fuss, Cinnamon Coffee Cake that’s delicious, moist, and flavorful, topped with a streusel topping that actually sinks into the cake after it’s baked. A recipe created by accident that turned out fabulous! No mixer required.
This cake came about by accident. I was making a coffee cake and intended to have a cinnamon swirl throughout, but inadvertently mixed the cinnamon in with the flour. My white batter turned tan but there was no way I was going to waste it so I continued on. From there I chose to use all brown sugar which ended up being a great decision. That cake turned out to be delicious and my mistake worked in my favor.
What makes this cinnamon coffee cake so special?
- The super moist texture actually gets better the next day. Using oil is the secret to the soft texture and butter is used for the topping where that buttery flavor is expected.
- Brown sugar is used for additional moisture.
- Buttermilk gives it that special something that makes it go from ho hum to yum yum.
- Bourbon is used because the cost of vanilla is crazy these days.
To make the streusel, simply add some flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and a pinch of salt in a bowl then add the melted butter. Mix until you get lumps and everything is coated with the butter. The melted butter creates a far superior streusel than cutting in cold butter. It’s the same as I do when making my simple crumb coffee cake (also delicious).
One thing to note about this cinnamon coffee cake is that the streusel sinks in.
The streusel top actually sinks into the cake and that’s what it’s supposed to do. That was the accident part of this recipe that worked out wonderfully and it makes the cake look more appealing in my opinion. There are waves of streusel going up and sinking down. Whatever sinks in melds with the batter and it’s the best part. I know you will think something went wrong when you see it sink but that’s what it is supposed to do. Just eat it and smile.
Tools you’ll need to make this delicious cinnamon coffee cake:
This is perfect to serve whenever you want a simple, no fuss cake that gets even better the next day. You don’t even have to drag out your mixer for this one. Enjoy.
Try some of my other delicious cakes:
- Banana Bundt Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Dad’s Favorite Apple Cake
- Maria’s Pisco Cake
- Ultimate Chocolate Sheet Cake
Life is too short for mediocre food.
Have you seen these?
A Simple No Fuss Cinnamon Coffee CakePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
Glaze: (Optional as this cake is delicious without it too)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 - 3 tablespoons milk whole is best
- ½ teaspoon vanilla or bourbon
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven 350°.
- Grease or spray a tube cake pan.
Prepare the streusel:
- In a medium bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt. Add the melted butter and mix until a crumble forms. Set aside.
For the cake:
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Add the oil, egg, and vanilla or bourbon into the measuring cup with the buttermilk and using a fork, whisk until combined.
- Add the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture and whisk just until it’s incorporated. Now whisk for 50 strokes until it’s mixed.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle the topping evenly over the top of the batter.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a cake tester/toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool on a rack for 30 minutes before lifting out the cake. As the cake cools, you'll notice the streusel topping sinks in and that's expected. After cooling, I'm able to lift it right off the tube insert and onto a platter. You may find it easier to invert it onto a plate, then flip it back upright onto a platter.
Make the glaze: (if using)
- Whisk together the powdered sugar, milk, vanilla or bourbon and salt. Using a fork, drizzle the glaze evenly over the cake and let set - about 10 minutes. Serve.
More Delicious Cakes
See More Cakes →
More Delicious Desserts
See More Desserts →