Perfectly moist and tender Oven Baked BBQ Pork Tenderloin is incredibly simple to prepare yet delivers great flavor. Topped with a no-cook apricot BBQ sauce that thickens and caramelizes while roasting, this dish will have all of your taste buds dancing. And it all can be done in about 30 minutes.
Perfectly moist and tender Oven Baked BBQ Pork Tenderloin is incredibly simple to prepare yet delivers great flavor. Topped with a no cook apricot BBQ sauce that thickens and caramelizes while roasting. Delicious!
Pork tenderloin is one of the most tender cuts of pork. The average weight of one tenderloin is about 1 pound up to about 1 ½ pounds making them an ideal choice for a quick weeknight dinner. Better yet, they are wonderful for parties and gatherings as they can be seasoned ahead then put in an oven to roast for under 30 minutes.
There are so many different ways to serve pork tenderloins, but today I’m going to show you how to make a delicious Oven Baked BBQ Pork Tenderloin where the BBQ sauce is made simply by mixing a tablespoon of a simple rub and some apricot preserves. The rub is slightly sweetened and loaded with spices providing some heat which is mellowed coupled with the rub and apricot preserves. The taste buds are working overtime and happily so.
We start with a rub made simple of brown sugar, paprika, garlic and onion powder, salt, pepper, chili powder, cayenne pepper, ginger, and cumin. The combination tastes delicious. You should have some rub leftover after seasoning. One tablespoon will be mixed with the apricot preserves. Save the rest for seasoning whatever you want to make more delicious.
When I season meat, I line the top of my island or counter with plastic wrap, longer than what I am wrapping. I season liberally with whatever rub I am using that day. It could be my tgc Spice Rub or my Adobo Seasoning which are my go to rubs for beef, pork, or chicken.
After seasoning the top of the tenderloin, lift the two corners of the plastic wrap closest to you, and gently lift causing the tenderloin to turn to other side. This way, your hands don’t get dirty. Sprinkle more rub on other side of tenderloin. Grab the top two corners of the plastic wrap and lift to gently turn the tenderloin back on center. Use the wrap to press the rub into meat by lifting each end and pressing down. If not roasting right away, wrap the pork tightly. Repeat with second tenderloin. This can be done ahead and refrigerated until you are ready to roast. Otherwise, continue without wrapping tenderloins.
Set one rack on the top position of your oven because the last step requires broiling.
Set another rack on the bottom or lowest position of your oven. We want the bottom of the skillet to get super hot and the lowest rack is where that can happen. By doing this, I’m eliminating the step of searing on top of the stove. I didn’t think it needed that step and I have heard no complaints.
Place the seasoned tenderloins in an oiled ovenproof skillet - preferably [easyazon_link identifier="B00G2XGC88" locale="US" tag="thegeneticche-20"]cast iron[/easyazon_link]. Don’t worry if you have to curve the tenderloins to fit.
Place skillet on lowest rack and set the timer for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, mix 1 tablespoon of rub with ½ of apricot preserves in a small bowl.
After 10 minutes, remove skillet from oven and flip over tenderloins. Spread ½ of the BBQ sauce amongst both tenderloins then place skillet back on bottom rack for another 10 minutes.
Remove skillet from oven and check temperature by placing meat thermometer into thickest part of loin. It should read 137* - 140 degrees after roasting 20 -25 minutes.
Spread remaining apricot sauce over tenderloins and turn the oven to broil. Place skillet on top rack and broil for 1 - 2 minutes until caramelized.
Remove skillet from oven, transfer pork to board and let rest 5 minutes before slicing.
Spoon sauce from pan over pork. Serve.
Note: About the temperature, I know everyone freaks out about getting sick from pink pork. If you scan the internet for proper cooking times, I’m sure you will find anything from 140 and up. What people fail to understand is there are new USDA guidelines for cooking pork. You can read it for yourself here.
In under 30 minutes of cooking time, you can enjoy a delicious Oven Baked BBQ Pork Tenderloin along with a no cook BBQ sauce. Amazing!
Life is too short for mediocre food.
Oven Baked BBQ Pork TenderloinPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- ½ cup apricot preserves
- 2 (1 - 1 ¼) pound pork tenderloins
- 1 - 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Combine all the rub ingredients in a bowl.
- In another bowl, combine 1 tablespoon of rub and apricot jam. Set aside.
- Place 2 long pieces of plastic wrap - longer than the tenderloins - on the counter. Place the tenderloins on the center of each piece of wrap. If your counter or island isn't big enough to accommodate both, do one at a time.
- Sprinkle some of the rub on top of each tenderloin. Use the wrap to turn the tenderloin over and sprinkle more rub on that side. The wrap catches any rub and can be used to press the rub onto the tenderloin. If not roasting right away, wrap the pork tightly. Repeat with the second tenderloin. This can be done ahead and refrigerated until you are ready to roast. Otherwise, continue without wrapping tenderloins. You should have some rub leftover and can keep it in an airtight container and use to season poultry, beef, or pork.
- When ready to roast, set one oven rack on top position of oven and one rack on the bottom (lowest) position of oven.
- Preheat oven 425 degrees.
- Oil the bottom of large cast iron skillet or other ovenproof skillet. Unwrap tenderloins and place in skillet.
- Roast on bottom rack for 10 minutes. Remove skillet from oven and flip over tenderloins. Spread half of the apricot sauce on both tenderloins.
- Place skillet back onto bottom rack for another 10 minutes. Remove skillet from oven and check the temperature by placing a meat thermometer into thickest part of loin. It should read 137* - 140 degrees. If not, place back in the oven for a few minutes.
- Spread remaining apricot sauce over tenderloins and turn the oven to broil. Place skillet on top rack and broil for 1 - 2 minutes until caramelized.
- Transfer pork to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes before slicing. Spoon sauce from pan over pork. Serve.
More Delicious Pork Recipes
See More Pork →