Love pesto? Here’s a version made with baby spinach that will definitely satisfy. Spinach pesto takes minutes to prepare and can be used as a sauce to beautifully coat pasta or as a condiment.
I don’t know about you, but after cooking for days for thanksgiving, I’m grateful for one of my no brainer recipes and this is one of them. Spinach pesto, the perfect sauce to make when you are short on time, don’t feel like cooking, and need something easy to make.
My family loves pesto all year round and when basil is available, I make Peruvian pesto. When basil isn’t readily available, I make spinach pesto. I have baby spinach most of the time in my fridge regardless of the season. Substituting the basil for spinach and adding walnuts and feta makes a delicious creamy sauce. You won’t miss the basil. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve made this for my family and they didn’t know the difference. Perfect if you want to fool your kids into eating spinach.
To achieve a thick, velvety sauce, I use my Vitamix blender (affiliate link). Add the ingredients in the order listed in the recipe and blend. It comes out perfect every time.
If you have a food processor (affiliate link), add everything but the oil. Process, then drizzle in the oil and continue to process until everything is combined. The sauce won’t look as smooth as the picture below, instead it will have specks throughout of spinach, walnuts, and cheese. Different texture, but same taste.
You can also use this sauce as a dip, as a sauce for pizza, or add to mayonnaise for flavor. Give spinach pesto a try – you won’t be disappointed.
Be happy, eat well…
Spinach PestoPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 - 3 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup 1 ounce walnuts
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups (3 ounces) packed fresh baby spinach
- 3 ounces feta cheese
- If using a food processor, pulse all ingredients except the oil then drizzle in the oil and process until you have a smooth sauce.
- If using a blender, add your ingredients in the order listed and blend until smooth, stopping as needed to push down ingredients.
- Toss with your favorite pasta.
- Serve as a dip with a crudité platter.
- Add to mayo for a delicious spread.
- Use as a sauce for pizza.