My Gazpacho is loaded with fresh vegetables blended with extra virgin olive oil resulting in a silky emulsion with an explosion of flavor. Just chop, blend, chill, and serve. Part of my KISS – Keep it Short Simple recipes.
We have an abundance of tomatoes, cucumbers, and peppers from our garden. They seem to ripen and be ready for picking all at once. One way to use them is to make this delicious gazpacho. The only requirement of preparing this dish to get its fullest potential is to use fresh ripe tomatoes and in-season vegetables.
It’s been terribly hot lately and this soup was the perfect solution for a refreshing lunch because it requires no cooking. The vegetables are roughly chopped and placed in a blender then puréed until it’s ultra smooth. The soup is then chilled for a few hours until it’s very cold.
Red ripe tomatoes, preferably fresh from your garden or from a farm stand<
Red bell pepper – red is sweeter
Red onion or a mild sweet onion
Celery – not in authentic gazpacho, but I like it. Use the green leaf tops, if possible
Red wine vinegar – gives zing and brightens
Extra virgin olive oil – creates a smooth fluffy texture
Garlic – 1 – 2 cloves and no more, otherwise it’s overpowering
1 small jalapeño, optional for some heat
Cumin – just a little for an authentic flavor
Salt and pepper to taste
Note: I don’t add bread to my soup although an authentic gazpacho has day old bread which gives a thicker texture. I don’t find it necessary because I prefer the velvety texture created with the olive oil.
Diced red bell pepper
Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
Fresh cracked pepper
You may expect the color of this soup to be bright red. In this case, it isn’t. The amount of olive oil lightens the color. Please don’t skimp on the oil. It’s what makes this soup delicious. It creates an emulsion resulting in a smooth texture that feels wonderful on the tongue.
Make this soup and you’ll be wonderfully surprised. It’s a great way to enjoy your vegetables! Don’t forget to give a little drizzle of extra virgin olive oil on top. Go, make, enjoy!
Try some of my other soups:
Be happy, eat well.
affiliate link). It’s the best blender out there.
Simple Silky Smooth GazpachoPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 pounds fresh ripe tomatoes cored and chopped
- 1 8 - 9 inch cucumber peeled, seeded, and cut into chunks
- 1 red bell pepper cored, seeded, and chopped
- 1 small red onion cut into chunks
- 1 small jalapeño optional, seeded, ribs removed, and chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 - 2 cloves garlic depending on your taste
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin optional
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Combine tomatoes, cucumber, pepper, onion, jalapeño, celery, and garlic together in a blender or food processor. Puree until the soup is smooth and emulsified. You may have to do it in batches (See Note). Add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. The color will be more orange than red. Taste and season with more salt and pepper, if needed. Adjust to your taste.
- Transfer soup to a large pitcher or sealed container. Refrigerate for 4 - 6 hours, or until completely chilled.
- When serving, drizzle with a little olive oil and fresh black pepper. You can dice some red bell pepper and cucumber and sprinkle a little on top for garnish.