Beef Cabbage Soup is one of the simplest soups you can make. Just add everything into the pot and let it simmer and you have a delicious, hearty meal.
There’s really no recipe required to make this soup. It’s basically a “throw everything in the pot” kind of soup. Just let it simmer for a bit and you have an incredible meal. This is something any level cook can prepare.
Mind you, I make a LOT of soup which is probably double what a normal person would make. My Mom always said if you are going to make soup, make a lot so you have many meals. Whatever you don’t eat can be served the next day or better yet, be frozen. I freeze using quart sized containers and take it out for lunches or for a quick meal.
When I say throw everything in the pot I mean it. All you do is chop, put it in the pot, and simmer. How’s that for easy?
I buy a 3-pound beef chuck roast and cut it into good sized chunks. Remove the hard chunks of fat around the pieces. Keep the pieces good sized - about 1 ½ inches or so. It will be tender enough to cut with a spoon if you find them too big.
If you can get your hands on some frozen yuca, then you’ll get to truly experience the amazing flavor of this soup. It seems to be gaining popularity in a lot of markets. Goya sells it peeled and cut in chunks in the frozen section of many markets including Walmart and Target. If you don’t have access to frozen yuca, you can use potatoes.
I use water to make this soup rather than stock. You may be thinking it would lack in flavor, but I’m telling you it’s loaded with flavor. Just let it simmer and season the hell out of it with salt and pepper to your taste. When you simmer, skim off the scum that forms on top.
Want to know when and how the flavor all comes together? It’s when the fresh lime juice is added at the end. Serve the soup with a squeeze of lime or a few wedges on the side. The lime is important and brightens the soup.
This is good stuff here. It’s healthy, hearty, and delicious.
Want more great soups? You must try:
- Peruvian shrimp soup
- French lentil soup with bacon
- Sweet potato vegetable soup
- Silky smooth cauliflower soup
- Simple silky smooth gazpacho
- Chicken and rice soup
- Potato leek soup
- Homemade chicken soup
Life is too short for mediocre food.
Beef Cabbage SoupPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 3 pounds chuck roast trimmed and cut up into chunks OR buy a package of stew beef already cut up
- 3 - 4 carrots - peeled and chopped or ½ pound or so of baby carrots
- 3 - 4 ribs celery - chopped use the celery top leaves too because they provide great flavor
- 1 large sweet onion chopped
- ½ medium head savoy cabbage - chopped
- 1 pound frozen yuca*
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt to start then to YOUR taste. I usually start with 2 tablespoons which is ~2 teaspoons fine salt.
- pepper - to YOUR taste.
- 3 quarts water - or to cover**
- 3 - 4 tablespoons lime juice juice of 2 limes
- 1 lime sliced into wedges for serving
- In a large stockpot, over high heat, add the meat, carrots, celery and leaves, onion, savoy cabbage, yuca, salt, pepper, and water - go by the guidelines of 3 pounds of chuck 3 quarts of water or enough to cover.
- Bring to a boil then lower heat and simmer on low for about 2 hours.
- Add more salt and pepper to your liking. Don't be afraid to add salt. It brings out the flavor of the other ingredients.
- Stir in the lime juice.
- Serve with a wedge of lime.