This hearty Sweet Potato Vegetable Soup is a wonderful way to get in your vegetables and making you feel good about what you’re putting into your body. Extremely easy to prepare and I offer a stovetop and crockpot version - both effortless even for the novice cook.
If you’re looking for an easy soup for lunch or a light dinner, then this sweet potato vegetable soup is a good choice. This is probably one of the easiest soups you'll ever prepare. You basically chop the vegetables and add all the ingredients in the pot and simmer. There’s no sautéing involved. This is super simple.
You’ll need an onion, potatoes - russet and sweet, some carrots, celery, squash, and garlic. Those all need to be chopped and placed either in a crockpot at least 6 quarts in size, OR you can place it in a large stockpot.
Add some spices, stock - your choice of vegetable or chicken, water, olive oil, and red wine vinegar.
Give it a stir. Cook for 4 - 8 hours in a crockpot depending on what heat setting you choose, or just under an hour on the stovetop.
The soup is thickened by adding a few ladles into a blender and blending until it's smooth. Stir it back into the soup and now you have a thick base along with some chunks to make it interesting. Just remember to remove the bay leaves before you blend!
Stir in some fresh chopped parsley and either fresh or frozen chopped kale or spinach. I use frozen because it's easier. If using fresh, grab 2 handfuls and chop it up. Stir into the soup and let it cook for a few minutes to heat through.
Now if you are on a Whole30 diet, eat as is. If you aren’t, serve sprinkled with some Parmesan or Romano cheese for added flavor and a slice of good crusty bread and you have yourself an incredible hearty meal. Did I mention it’s good for you?
You can also enjoy more delicious soup-er soups:
- Peruvian shrimp soup
- French lentil soup with bacon
- Silky smooth cauliflower soup
- Simple silky smooth gazpacho
- Chicken and rice soup
- Potato leek soup
- Homemade chicken soup
- Beef barley soup
- Hearty hamburger soup
Life is too short for mediocre food.
Have you seen these?
Sweet Potato Vegetable SoupPRINT PIN SAVESaved!
- 1 pound sweet potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 pound potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 pound butternut squash peeled and chopped
- 1 pound baby carrots cut in half
- 3 celery stalks chopped (include leaves if you have them)
- 1 large onion chopped
- 8 garlic cloves chopped
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 4 cups water
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup frozen chopped kale or spinach
- Parmesan or Romano cheese for topping
- Add all Soup and Seasoning ingredients in a large stockpot. Bring to a boil then lower to a simmer. Simmer, uncovered, for 45 - 50 minutes, giving it a stir occasionally.
- Remove the bay leaves and discard.
- Ladle a few cups of soup into a blender and blend until it just becomes smooth. Add back to the soup creating a thicker base.
- Add the kale (or spinach) and parsley and stir. I use frozen because it’s easier, but you can use fresh and chop it up. You will need about 3 cups or 2 good handfuls if using fresh.
- Taste and adjust with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Serve topped with a few shavings of Parmesan or Romano cheese and some crusty bread, if desired.
- Add all the Soup and Seasonings ingredients into a 6-quart crockpot. Stir and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 - 8 hours. Blend a few cups of the soup until smooth. Add back to the soup for a thicker base. Continue with recipe by adding kale or spinach, parsley and stir. Taste and adjust for salt and pepper, if needed.
I don't post the nutritional value because I don't trust the accuracy of the nutritional apps. I’m not a nutritionist and don't want to post misinformation.
More Delicious Soups
See More Soups →