This hearty Sweet Potato Vegetable Soup is a wonderful way to get in your vegetables and making you feel good about what you’re putting into your body. Extremely easy to prepare and I offer a stovetop and crockpot version – both effortless even for the novice cook.
It’s the New Year and that means we all try to eat a little healthier. If you’re looking for an easy soup for lunch or a light dinner, then this sweet potato vegetable soup is a good choice.
Soups like this are one of my favorite comforting foods both for its ease in preparation and the warmth each bite delivers. The best part of this soup is its preparation because the ingredients are placed in a pot and simmered until the vegetables are softened and tender. There’s no sauteeing involved.
You’ll need an onion, potatoes – russet and sweet, some carrots, celery, squash, and garlic. Those all need to be chopped and placed either in a crockpot (affiliate link) at least 6 quarts in size, OR you can place it in a large stockpot and cook it for just under an hour..
Add some spices, stock – your choice of vegetable or chicken, water, olive oil, and red wine vinegar.
Give it a stir. Cook for 4 – 8 hours in a crockpot depending on what heat setting you choose, or just under an hour on the stovetop.
The soup is thickened by adding some into a blender (affiliate link) and blending until it’s smooth. Stir it back into the soup and now you have a thick base along with some chunks to make it interesting.
Stir in some fresh chopped parsley and chopped kale or spinach. I use frozen chopped kale or spinach which makes it easier. One cup of frozen chopped is all you need. If using fresh, grab 2 handfuls and chop it up. Stir into the soup and let it cook for a few minutes to heat through.
Now if you are on a Whole30 diet, eat as is. If you aren’t, serve sprinkled with some Parmesan or Romano cheese for added flavor and a slice of good crusty bread and you have yourself an incredible hearty meal. Did I mention it’s good for you?
Want some more delicious soups? Beef cabbage soup is another simple soup where all the ingredients are thrown in a pot and simmered until the meat is tender. Try my Peruvian shrimp soup with chunks of shrimp, feta, and crushed noodles all in a creamy flavorful broth. A hearty soup of split pea soup with bacon and egg is simple to make and delicious.
Life is too short for mediocre food.
This post contains affiliate links for the products I use in my kitchen.
Sweet Potato Vegetable SoupPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 pound sweet potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 pound potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 pound butternut squash peeled and chopped
- 1 pound baby carrots cut in half
- 3 celery stalks chopped (include leaves if you have them)
- 1 large onion chopped
- 8 garlic cloves chopped
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 4 cups water
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup frozen chopped kale or spinach
- Parmesan or Romano cheese for topping
- Add all Soup and Seasoning ingredients in a large stockpot. Bring to a boil then lower to a simmer. Simmer, uncovered, for 45 - 50 minutes, giving it a stir occasionally.
- Remove the bay leaves and discard.
- Ladle a few cups of soup into a blender and blend until it just becomes smooth. Add back to the soup creating a thicker base.
- Add the kale (or spinach) and parsley and stir. I use frozen because it’s easier, but you can use fresh and chop it up. You will need about 3 cups or 2 good handfuls if using fresh.
- Taste and adjust with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Serve topped with a few shavings of Parmesan or Romano cheese and some crusty bread, if desired.
- Add all the Soup and Seasonings ingredients into a 6-quart crockpot. Stir and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 - 8 hours. Continue with step 2.