The Best Homemade Tartar Sauce made in minutes with simple ingredients. Perfect as a condiment for fried haddock, fried seafood, or even French fries. This is great stuff!
I find store-bought tartar sauce to be lacking in flavor and some brands are too sweet. For me, it has an artificial flavor and I don’t care for artificial stuff. Since it only takes a few minutes to make homemade, why not treat myself? I’m worth it, and you are too.
A lot of recipes use sweet relish but I find using dill pickles or gherkins give crunch and fresh flavor. Capers give a great briny flavor that takes it to the next level as well as salt. Chopped fresh dill pairs perfectly with seafood and it adds a unique flavor. I buy a bunch of fresh dill, use what I need, then put the rest in a zip top freezer bag with the air squeezed out. Not only is it available whenever I need it, freezing makes it easier to chop.
A touch of garlic is added because I believe garlic makes everything taste better. Use a microplane grater and grate it for best results. If you don’t have one, a garlic press works too. Don’t have that either? Then finely mince it. You don’t want large chunks of garlic here. Save that for tomato sauce.
A touch of Dijon mustard adds that special something. I find myself adding Dijon mustard to a lot of my recipes such as homemade horseradish sauce or my delicious orange vinaigrette. I don’t add any salt to this because the capers are salty. If you want some heat, add a touch of hot sauce. Yum.
Don’t limit yourself to serving this only with fried haddock or seafood. Try it:
- Instead of ketchup for fries
- Use it as a dipping sauce for fried or baked chicken tenders
- Mix into egg salad
- Mix it into ham salad
- Plop some on top of fresh sliced tomatoes
- You can also try it as a dipping option for fresh vegetables
This pairs perfectly with pan fried haddock – one of my most popular recipes.
If you want to go over the top, make this with homemade mayonnaise. It literally takes 2 minutes to make that too. You’re worth it, right?
Be happy, eat well.
This post contains affiliate links.
Homemade Tartar SaucePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup finely chopped dill pickles or gherkins
- 2 tablespoons capers drained and chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill chopped
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic grated or finely minced*
- Mix together all the ingredients in a bowl. It’s best if you can refrigerate for at least an hour for the flavors to marry, but it’s not necessary. Serve. Refrigerate any leftovers.