Perfectly moist and slightly sweet Skillet Cornbread is made in one bowl and takes 5 minutes to prepare. The simplicity of a box mix, but so much better. This is cornbread, perfected.
I’ve been trying to perfect cornbread for many years. I was looking for moist, sweet, and light, with a tender texture.
I’ve tried so many recipes, I think I circled back again to the first one. I wanted a recipe that was as quick and easy as the box mix. I've finally done it!
To start, I wanted a cornbread that had at least equal amounts of cornmeal and flour. Many recipes include 3 times as much flour than cornmeal which no longer made it cornbread.
I understand the flour created a softer texture, but the whole purpose of making cornbread is to have cornmeal in it. Am I right?
SOUTHERN CORNBREAD OR NORTHERN CORNBREAD?
There's a long debate about Southern Cornbread and Northern Cornbread. I'm a Northerner and that is why I'm used to sweet, moist cornbread.
I'm not saying it's better than Southern, I'm only saying it's what I grew up with and I'm nostalgic about its sweet and tender texture.
The crust is buttery and crisp while the texture of the cornbread is moist and tender. Enjoy a slice with a smear of butter and a drizzle of honey or simply as is because it really doesn’t need a thing.
If you're looking for a crispier crust, invert it after cooling a few minutes and slice it like a pie.
TOOLS NEEDED TO MAKE CORNBREAD
This skillet cornbread goes great with my Nat Your Average Chili. It’s the perfect cornbread to serve with any meal - breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
It's also a great option for Thanksgiving or any holidays you want bread with no fuss. It's a one bowl one skillet recipe.
MORE DELICIOUS BREADS
- Quick easy cheddar cheese bread
- Creamy garlic bread
- Beer bread
- Perfectly soft and fluffy dinner rolls
- Irish soda bread
- Single rise bread
Life is too short for mediocre food.
HAVE YOU SEEN THESE?
CHECK OUT MY SHOP FOR PRODUCTS I RECOMMEND
PIN THIS RECIPE FOR PERFECT MASHED POTATOES TO SAVE FOR LATER.
FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES!
PERFECT SKILLET CORNBREADPRINT PIN SAVE
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Using a 10 inch cast iron skillet, add the butter and place skillet into preheated oven. Meanwhile...
- In a 2 cup measuring cup, measure 1 cup of milk, pour in ¼ cup of oil, add in the eggs and whisk with a fork. Check to see if butter has melted in skillet. If it's mostly melted then proceed.
- Pour wet mixture into dry ingredients and whisk until combined.
- Remove the cast iron skillet from oven.
- Pour half of the melted butter (doesn't have to be exact) into the batter and whisk together until just combined. Pour the batter back into the skillet with remaining butter.
- Place the skillet back in the oven and bake until puffed and golden - about 25 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from oven and let cool 10 minutes.
- If you want a crispier crust, invert cornbread onto cutting board and remove skillet. Otherwise, slice and serve right from skillet.
I don't post the nutritional value because I don't trust the accuracy of the nutritional apps. I’m not a nutritionist and don't want to post misinformation.