Sweet and tangy Cucumber Salad is perfect for your summer BBQ or potluck. Thinly sliced cucumbers and red onion marinated in vinegar with a touch of sweetness creates an intense delicious side dish.
Kudos to my brother Eric, for introducing me to this cucumber salad. He bought some at the local BBQ joint for lunch and offered me a bite. I’ve never had it before and found it was refreshing and delicious. I needed to recreate this dish and that’s exactly what I did.
What are the ingredients? Cucumbers – either your basic garden cucumber or English cucumbers (my preference), thinly sliced red onion, dill – either fresh or dried, sugar, kosher salt, and crushed red pepper. I prefer to use the English cucumbers because they’re thin skinned and pretty much seedless.
This recipe couldn’t be simpler. If you have a mandoline, this would be the time to use it to thinly and evenly slice the cucumbers and onion. Otherwise, use a sharp knife and thinly slice the cucumbers and red onion.
Place the cukes and onions in a zip top bag along with the other ingredients. Remove all the air from bag, seal, and squish it around with your hand to mix it all up. Lay it flat to marinate in the fridge for at least 30 – 60 minutes to allow the flavors to marry, flipping it over once or twice to make sure everything gets covered. You can marinate overnight and it does keep up to a week in the fridge. The cucumbers will lose their crispness but it’s still all good.
I prefer to use red wine vinegar, but you can use white vinegar or apple cider vinegar. I’ve used all three and they’re all good. Choose what you have available.
Quick, simple, and delicious with little effort. Seriously, anyone can make this cucumber salad.
Try some of my other salads:
- Mexican street corn salad
- Simple vinegar coleslaw
- Peruvian oil and vinegar potato salad
- Grilled vegetables with feta and balsamic vinaigrette
- Macaroni salad
- Quinoa Salad with Orange Vinaigrette
- Lemon Garlic Butter Bean Salad
- Super Delicious Antipasto Pasta Salad
Life’s too short for mediocre food.
Cucumber SaladPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- Thinly and evenly slice the cucumbers 1/4” thick. Transfer the cucumbers into a large zip top bag.
- Thinly and evenly slice the red onion. You want these as thin as possible. Transfer the onions with the cucumbers.
- Add remaining ingredients into the bag, squeeze out the air, seal it, then squish it around to get it all mixed together. Lay it flat to marinate in the fridge for at least 30 - 60 minutes to allow the flavors to marry. Flip it over once or twice to make sure everything gets covered. You can marinate it overnight allowing you to make it ahead. Although the cucumbers will lose their crispness, the flavor will intensify.
More Delicious Salads
See More Salads →