A Simple Vinegar Coleslaw balanced by a little agave or honey creating a sweet and tangy side dish. Minimal effort with maximum taste. Looking for a deliciously simple no mayo coleslaw? Look no further, folks. I have it here for you. In fact, the dressing is so good, you can use it on anything you desire. Here’s a sad confession, I actually drank what was left in the bowl after all the coleslaw was eaten. I know, sad right? But it was so good.
There’s not much to say here folks. This is super simple. In fact, I’m adding it to my K.I.S.S (keep it short simple) recipe file. Simply whisk the dressing ingredients in a large bowl until it’s emulsified. Add the coleslaw and toss until fully coated. The coleslaw will wilt as it sits.
Serve with anything or use it as a topping for sandwiches. Perfect for parties, barbecues, and cookouts. No need to worry about the mayonnaise spoiling as this is mayo-free.
What makes this Simple Vinegar Coleslaw so tasty?
- Apple cider vinegar gives a zing that also brightens the coleslaw.
- Using a neutral oil is used and recommended. I use avocado oil(affiliate link) for this but you can use another neutral oil of your choice.
- Dijon mustard is important here as it not only brightens the flavor of the dressing but also aids in emulsification.
- Agave or honey brings just enough sweetness to counter all that zing. It also assists with the emulsification. I prefer the taste of agave.
- A touch of celery seed is enough to bring that familiar flavor of coleslaw.
- As always, kosher salt and pepper.
- There you have it. A simple yet tasty, super simple vinegar coleslaw to add to your cookout or anytime menu.
Be happy, eat well.
Simple Vinegar Coleslaw
- 1 pound package coleslaw
- 3 tablespoons neutral oil
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons agave or honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon celery seed
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Whisk all ingredients for dressing in a bowl until combined.
- Add the coleslaw and toss until fully coated. The coleslaw will wilt the longer it sits.
- Serve cold or room temperature.