If you love Mexican street corn salad but want a mayo-free version, this is it. It has everything you would expect for it to taste delicious and it’s perfect for any cookout or gathering.
I have a fantastic recipe for Mexican street corn salad and although it’s super delicious, there are a few people who prefer no mayo or sour cream in their food. So for this version, I took out the mayo and sour cream and replaced it with a little extra lime juice and extra virgin olive oil.
I left the cheese alone. In fact, I love cheese and the amount listed is just a recommendation for a normal person. I am not normal and I’ve been told that a thousand times. I love cheese so I add as much as I damn well please. If you do too, add as much as you want.
I made a little vinaigrette to substitute for the mayo and sour cream from my original recipe. It’s simple and the ingredients are extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil, lime juice, red wine vinegar, agave or honey, Dijon mustard, chili powder, and some finely minced garlic. Does this sound good? It is!
As for the corn, I cheated a little bit. I use frozen corn and if I can find roasted frozen corn then that’s what I’ll use. If not, I simply roast it in a cast iron pan until it’s beautifully charred.
Back to the cheese…If I have cotija cheese on hand, I use it. If not, I use feta because feta is always in my fridge. I use it to make my Peruvian pesto, watermelon salad with feta, Peruvian shrimp soup, and a whole bunch of other stuff. I love feta and it works great here. Trust me, people eat this stuff up.
When preparing the jalapeno, remove the seeds and slice off the white part of the rib if you want this mayo-free Mexican street corn salad to be mild. If you want some spice, add a few seeds. If you want it to be super spicy, then dice the whole thing.
All you do is mix everything together. How simple is that?
Love this Mayo-Free Mexican Street Corn Salad? Then try:
- Spinach watermelon feta salad with lime vinaigrette
- Sweet and tangy cucumber salad
- Mexican street corn salad
- Sonoma chicken salad
- Peruvian oil and vinegar potato salad
- Macaroni salad
- Spinach and cheese pasta salad
- Quinoa Salad with Orange Vinaigrette
Life is too short for mediocre food.
Have you seen these?
Mayo-Free Mexican Street Corn SaladPRINT PIN
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or a neutral oil
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon agave OR 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon chili powder plus more for serving
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- Zest of 1 lime this is optional if you have it
- 1 pound frozen sweet corn preferably roasted defrosted* See notes
- ½ cup cotija cheese or crumbled feta
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced both white and green parts**
- 1 jalapeño seeded whites removed, and diced***
- 1 handful fresh cilantro chopped about ½ cup
- Combine dressing ingredients in a large bowl. Set aside.
- If you’re using frozen roasted corn, add to bowl along with the remaining salad ingredients and mix. If using regular sweet corn, and want to roast it, see notes. It's still delicious as-is.
- Sprinkle with a little chili powder and garnish with some green scallions, if desired.
This step is optional - If you’re using plain sweet corn, place a skillet over medium high heat, and toss corn until charred in spots. I let it cool a few minutes before combining with the other ingredients. You don’t have to char the corn for this salad to be delicious. **Save a few of the green parts for garnish, if you wish. ***I use a medium-sized jalapeño, (about 3" in length).
More Delicious Salads
See More Salads →
Leave a Comment