Kale White Bean and Sausage Soup is a hearty soup-er delicious soup that’s made in about 30 minutes. The flavors marry perfectly and the addition of grated Romano cheese at the end along with a slice of hearty bread takes it over the top and makes an incredibly delicious meal.
I love soups and I think they’re perfect any time of the year. This particular one is not only quick and simple, it’s also not an expensive one to make and it fills you up to the brim. Leftovers taste just as good making it a great option for several meals throughout the week.
You get a lot of flavor from the browned sausages, sweet onions, lots of garlic, spices, and some white wine. You can use a good quality chicken stock or some homemade if you happen to have it. I use low sodium chicken stock I get from Trader Joe’s and Goya brand cannellini beans. A touch of white wine vinegar brightens it perfectly.
You may cringe at the three teaspoons of kosher salt that I have written in the recipe but honestly, I probably used more. Sounds like a lot but it’s kosher salt so it’s less in amount than fine salt. If you don’t add it, this soup isn’t going to taste as good as I’m making it out to be. But the amount you add all depends on the type of sausages you buy, the brand of stock you buy or if you used homemade (which 99% of you probably don’t make) and how you like your soup to taste. Cooking is all subjective, right? Just add what makes you happy. That goes for pepper too.
You also have to remember that the soup will (or should) be served with grated Romano cheese which is my choice over Parmesan because of its sharper and saltier flavor. Use what you like. I also recommend serving it with a nice slice of hearty bread which makes this a great hearty meal. You will most likely go for seconds and that’s okay because this soup has kale and kale is healthy, right? Right.
If you love this kale white bean and sausage soup, try my other soup-er soups:
- Peruvian shrimp soup
- French lentil soup with bacon
- Sweet potato vegetable soup
- Silky smooth cauliflower soup
- Simple silky smooth gazpacho
- Chicken and rice soup
- Potato leek soup
- Homemade chicken soup
- Beef barley soup
Life is too short for mediocre food.
Kale White Bean and Sausage SoupPRINT PIN SAVE
- 1 pound italian sausages casings removed
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion diced
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 bunch kale stems removed, rinsed and roughly chopped
- ½ cup white wine
- 8 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar*
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- 2 (15 ounce) cans white cannellini beans, drained
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper or to taste
- Grated pecorino romano or Parmesan cheese
- In a large stockpot over medium high heat, add the oil and brown the sausages.
- Make a space in the center of the pot and add the onions and cook until they're translucent. Add the garlic and cook just until fragrant.
- Add the kale in batches, stirring it until it starts to wilt then repeat with another batch until it’s all added.
- Add the wine, chicken stock, white wine vinegar, bay leaf, thyme, beans, salt and pepper. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Taste and adjust for more salt and pepper to your liking.
- Serve topped with grated Romano or Parmesan cheese.
I don't post the nutritional value because I don't trust the accuracy of the nutritional apps. I’m not a nutritionist and don't want to post misinformation.
More Delicious Soups
See More Soups →