This Pineapple Crush Smoothie is perfect for breakfast or anytime of the day. Made with immune boosting and anti-inflammatory spices of turmeric and ginger. Indulgence in a thick, creamy, frappe-like treat.
Originally posted February 7, 2017
I seem to have an affinity for smoothies. I'm always trying to find ways to get certain healthy goodness into the body for my family by making it in smoothie form. You can hide a lot of things in there if you make it delicious enough. That doesn't mean you have to add sugar or other sweeteners. To me, that defeats the purpose. Using the right ingredients such as fruit - either fresh, frozen, or canned in its own juices should do the trick. When drinking a smoothie, not only do I want to feel like I am doing the body good, but I also want to feel like I'm indulging in a thick, delicious, creamy, frappe-like treat.
In the past, I have tried passing off putting some funky albeit healthy stuff in a smoothie and gave it to my hubby and kids. They would take a sip, make a funny face, put it down, and refuse to drink it. Then, I created my Blue Cranberry Smoothie and my Ultimate Green Smoothie and finally, I was on the right track. Although it was healthy, it was tasty.
Pineapples are an interesting fruit. The exterior is course and bumpy and on top sits a spiny crown of blueish green leaves. Who knew that the interior holds bright yellow edible flesh with a fragrant sweet smell. My uncle Joe was fortunate to visit Hawaii and while he was there, he experienced how a freshly picked pineapple tasted and described it as an incredibly delicious sweet fruit. Pineapple is spectacular in taste as it's nature's candy. I can only imagine how a freshly picked one would taste like.
Did you know...
- Pineapple is a great source of vitamin C and is just plain good for you.
- Pineapple contains bromelain which is an anti-inflammatory.
- Pineapple is sweet and delicious, therefore, there is no need for added sweetener.
- Bananas are a rich source of potassium and are a good source of fiber.
- Ginger is another anti-inflammatory. I use ground ginger as I always have it in my arsenal of spices. I will also use a fresh chunk instead of ground if I have one available. If using fresh, you may notice stringy fibers after blending. It depends on how mature the ginger was when picked and how fresh it was when at the market. You can also use good quality grated ginger in a jar. Just make sure it's all ginger and not other stuff.
- Turmeric is an anti-inflammatory and whenever I can, I include it in a recipe rather than taking a supplement.
- Pepper aids in the absorption of turmeric.
- Coconut milk contains lauric acid, which can boost the immune system's ability to fight disease.
- Ice makes it feel like you're drinking a frappe.
Tips for a better pineapple crush smoothie ...
- Freeze some bananas making them readily available anytime you want a smoothie. Bananas that are ripe and spotty have great flavor and add sweetness and texture for your smoothies. Simply peel, place in a zip freezer bag, and freeze. Slicing in half prior to freezing makes it easier when only making one serving.
- Buy canned pineapple chunks. Easy to measure and the juice is already in the can.
- If using frozen pineapple, simply have on hand some canned pineapple juice. You can also freeze some pineapple juice in an ice tray. Once frozen, place in a freezer bag and it's there when you need it.
- Coconut milk is great if you want a nondairy option. You can use unsweetened carton coconut milk or canned. Canned is more condensed and higher in fat and calories, but I like the thickness of it. If using the canned version, make sure the brand uses a BPA-free can. Shake it well to combine before opening as it tends to separate. I will add the whole can into my blender and blend to ensure I have a smooth creamy texture then store the remainder in the fridge. You can also use the milk of your choice - plain kefir, milk, almond milk, etc. If using the carton milks, use unsweetened.
Put all of the ingredients into your [easyazon_link identifier="B008H4SLV6" locale="US" tag="thegeneticche-20"]Vitamix[/easyazon_link]. Blend the ingredients for about a minute or two until a frothy, beautifully hued yellow, smooth, drink appears. Pour and enjoy. It's like cheating when in reality you are enjoying a healthy drink. No powders necessary. I am very excited to share this Pineapple Crush Smoothie with you. Let's raise our cups and toast...¡Salud!
Try some of my other smoothies:
Have you seen these?
Life is too short for mediocre food.
Pineapple Crush SmoothiePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- Blend all ingredients together until smooth and creamy.
Try some more delicious drinks:
See More Drinks →