String Beans with Ground Beef – Saltado de Vainitas – is a dish made with string/green beans steamed over deliciously seasoned meat and onions. Simple to prepare and makes a fantastic meal any time of the week.
If you’re looking for a great meal and you’re limited on time, string beans with ground beef will soon be one of your go-to meals. String beans or green beans? Whatever you call them, they taste good and are good for you.
This is one of those meals that can be made in about 30 minutes. You will be shocked over the simplicity and pleasantly surprised at how tasty a simple dish like this can be using hamburger, onions, spices, and string beans.
Ground beef is browned then paired with sauteed onions and garlic. Tomato paste is added and cooked just enough to lose it’s bright red color. More seasonings such as cumin, garlic, and sazón seasoning are added followed by a little soy sauce and water.
Fresh string beans are placed on top and then the pan is covered allowing the steam to cook the beans until they’re nice and tender. If I don’t have fresh string beans, I use frozen and it’s perfectly fine.
Serve with rice and you will have a delicious meal!
¡Al ataque! (means Attack! My Mom would always start a meal with that phrase.)
Be happy, eat well…
String Beans with Ground BeefPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 pounds ground sirloin
- 3 tablespoons oil neutral
- 2 cups onions diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced*
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon sazón seasoning
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup soy sauce low sodium is recommended
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound string/green beans trimmed
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef until it renders its fat and loses its pink color. It doesn't have to fully cook since it will continue to cook with the string beans. Remove the ground beef with slotted spoon and set aside in a bowl.
- Drain the fat from the skillet.
- Add oil into the skillet and sauté onions until translucent and just starting to turn golden. Scrape up any bits from hamburger.
- Stir in the minced garlic and cook for a minute until fragrant.
- Add the hamburger back into the skillet and season with the remaining spices.
- Add in the tomato paste and stir until it loses its bright red color.
- Stir in the water and soy sauce.
- Place beans on top of ground beef. Cover the skillet, reduce heat to medium, and cook until string beans are tender - about 15 - 20 minutes.
- Serve with rice.