My Cocoa Brownies are just as easy as using a mix, but with far better results. They're thick, chewy, fudgy, delicious and made in one bowl.
This is one of those recipes I had to create when brownies were in demand NOW. What makes these the Best Cocoa Brownies? No mixer required, no melting of chocolate and butter, and no fuss. I wanted this recipe to be as simple as the box mixes. Measure, mix, pour, and bake.
Here we go.
Grab a large bowl.
Add in the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt. Whisk together until thoroughly combined. Now it looks like the mix from the box.
To that, add eggs, oil, and vanilla (or bourbon because vanilla is so expensive now).
Mix and once incorporated (need to just combine to prevent powder and liquid flying all over the place) mix for 50 strokes. Why 50? Because that's what I remember as a kid.
Spread in pan. Tap the pan a few times on the counter to allow air bubbles to escape.
Bake about 40 - 45 minutes and test with a toothpick halfway between the edge and center of the pan. There should be a few crumbs attached, but it should not be gooey. I've even baked these in my toaster oven and they come out perfect.
The cocoa brownies never get a chance to cool completely in my house, although they should cool completely before cutting into them. If you wrap these and refrigerate, you'll experience a firmer yet fudgy brownie that's easier to cut. Remember, cool translates to clean-cut. Want them to cool faster? Refrigerate.
Tools you’ll need to make these incredible cocoa brownies:
The brownies can be frozen after being tightly wrapped with plastic. Freeze individually for an anytime chocolate fix. I rarely have any left to freeze because these are the best damn cocoa brownies in the world and they disappear quickly.
You may also like:
- Strawberry jam bars
- Gooey chewy s’mores bars
- Peanut butter and jelly bars
- Congo bars
- Thick chewy chocolate chip cookies
- The best oatmeal raisin cookies
- Anisette toasts
- Natalie’s ultimate almond biscotti
Life is too short for mediocre food.
Have you seen these?
Best Cocoa BrowniesPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 cup flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon fine salt
- 2 cups sugar
- ¾ cup canola or vegetable oil or a neutral oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla or bourbon
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- In a large bowl add flour, cocoa powder, salt, and sugar. Whisk well to combine.
- Add in oil, eggs, and vanilla.
- Mix until just incorporated then mix for 50 strokes. Batter should be dense, smooth, and shiny.
- Spread batter into prepared pan then tap pan once or twice to allow air bubbles to escape.
- Bake for 40 - 45 minutes. Test with a toothpick halfway between the edge and center of pan. There should be a few crumbs attached, but not gooey.
- Allow to cool completely for a clean cut.
More delicious bars
See More Bar Recipes →