Roasted Brussels sprouts with pear and walnuts make a delicious combination of bitter, sweet and crunchy all in one dish. It’s the perfect side for any meal and can be enjoyed at any time of the year.
This is another one of those recipes that was created on the fly. I had loads of Brussels sprouts that I had picked up at Costco since it only cost a few bucks for 2 pounds. Being me, I bought a few bags and then thought of different ways to cook them. I’m fortunate that my family loves them and I don’t blame them because this was pretty damn good.
I happened to have some pears lying around too so I figured I’d roast some Brussels sprouts with a few pears. Then I threw in some walnuts for some crunch, drizzled with olive oil, then sprinkled with some salt and pepper. In the oven it went.
After about 45 minutes, out came this glorious combination of charred sprouts, softened caramelized chunks of pears, and the smell of toasted nuts. It looked awesome.
My daughter came up with the idea of coating it with some maple syrup and Dijon mustard to give it a little more sweetness to mellow the bitterness of the sprouts and to offer some zing with every bite. Boy, was it good - so good that I had to go back to Costco to buy more bags of Brussels sprouts and pears.
This works best using a cast iron skillet. One pound of Brussels sprouts and a large pear fit beautifully in a 10.25 inch cast iron skillet. Don’t have one? Get one here. It’s inexpensive and it lasts a lifetime. While you’re there get a 12 inch too. You never know when you’ll need it but you will.
Try some of my other delicious sides:
- Roasted spiced acorn squash
- Rich creamy garlic mashed potatoes
- Silky smooth carrot puree
- Roasted asparagus with mozzarella
- Perfect rice pilaf
- Curry roasted cauliflower
- Perfect mashed potatoes
- Maple butternut squash
Roasted Brussels sprouts with pear and walnuts is definitely good eats. Thank goodness for Costco and for once my buying a few bags on sale really paid off. I used them all up.
Life is too short for mediocre food.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pear and WalnutsPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Cut brown ends off sprouts and peel outer discolored leaves. Slice them in half from bottom to top and place in a cast iron skillet along with the pear and walnuts. Drizzle with the oil then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Roast for 45 to 50 minutes, shaking pan or stirring with spoon at least once while roasting for even browning.
- Combine the maple syrup and Dijon mustard. Drizzle over Brussels sprouts and toss to coat.
More Delicious Sides
See More Sides →
More Delicious Vegetables
See More Vegetables →