Roasted carrots with butter and dill is a simple yet elegant dish any level cook can prepare. These are sweetened simply from roasting. Pairs with just about anything.
I’m sure you’ve seen them. Pictures of whole peeled carrots with their green tops cut off with just enough of the stems left on to make them look interesting. I roasted them that way only once because my guests had to cut that top off and leave it on their plate. Sure it looks nice roasted with that little chia pet looking top, and yes it can be eaten, but not everyone likes to eat it and it’s left on the plate. To save the trouble of a dinner guest removing it, I just slice it before roasting.
The best way to prepare roasted carrots with dill:
- Purchase carrots similar in size - try to get them on the thinner side - or slice the large ones in half so they’re similar in size
- If you need to slice them in half and they’re still thick, quarter them
- Roast using butter for better flavor
- Roast until slightly charred because that’s what makes them sweet
It’s a simple recipe, you just need a hot oven and about 30 minutes to get them perfect. By perfect I mean slightly shriveled (I know, it doesn’t sound right, right? It's usually the opposite!) They should also be slightly charred.
When my son Ryan was young, it was a chore making him eat his vegetables, and carrots were on top of his bad list. I would put a few on his plate and told him he had to eat them, period. Rather than sit and wait all night for him to do it, I'd start to clean the table and dishes. If my parents dined with us, they would sit with him until he finished coaching him on.
I walked in and found my Mom taking a carrot with her fork from my son’s plate, and feeding them to my Dad who sat there with his mouth open. I was shocked, but had to laugh. How cool is it to know your grandparents have your back.
By the way, Ryan now loves his carrots.
Try some of my other delicious sides:
- Rich creamy garlic mashed potatoes
- Silky smooth carrot puree
- Roasted asparagus with mozzarella
- Roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon
- Perfect rice pilaf
- Curry roasted cauliflower
- Maple butternut squash
- Roasted spiced acorn squash
- Incredibly Delicious Sweet potato casserole
- Cauliflower mash
- Perfect mashed potatoes
Life is too short for mediocre food.
Have you seen these?
Roasted Carrots with Butter and DillPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 pound carrots See Notes
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped or ½ teaspoon dried
- Preheat oven 450°.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment for easy cleanup.
- Toss carrots with butter on lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with some kosher salt.
- Roast for 15 minutes then remove from oven and turn them over. Sprinkle with dill and roast for 10 - 15 minutes more keeping an eye on them after the 10 minute mark. Turning them halfway through roasting ensures they're coated with the butter and won't dry up. Remove from oven and toss to coat again with the butter and dill from the pan before serving.
More Delicious Sides
See More Sides →
More Delicious Vegetables
See More Vegetables →