Parmesan Roasted Zucchini is stuffed with sautéed onions, garlic, two cheeses, and buttery breadcrumbs. A delicious side or light meal for any day of the week.
Zucchinis are one of my favorite vegetables. They have a mild flavor that’s delicious grilled with a simple drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt.
Have an abundance of zucchini from your gardens? Put it to use by making some delicious dishes like these Parmesan roasted zucchini, my zucchini frittata, or keep some grated in the freezer for making zucchini bread.
If I'm feeling generous, I give a few away. I have to admit, it’s not often. When you try these Parmesan roasted zucchinis, you'll know what I mean.
I often use large zucchinis to make this dish because we tend to grow them large in the garden. The seeds need to be scraped out because we need to create a cavity for the stuffing.
The larger the cavity, the more they're filled with buttered, cheesy breadcrumbs. That’s where it’s at my friends.
For smaller sized zucchini that’s about 8 inches long (still above average...), use the lower end of the initial roasting time - about 10 minutes - because you don’t want them too soft...are we still talking about zucchini?
Anyway, for medium sized zucchini that’s about 10 - 12 inches in size, roast for about 12 minutes.
For large ones that are 12+ inches, roast for 15 minutes. Is it getting hot in here???
These are stuffed with a mixture of panko bread crumbs, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, and chopped fresh parsley, that's combined with buttery sautéed onions and garlic. Doesn't that sound good?
If any crumbs overflow onto the baking sheet, that's fine. Those crisp up in the oven and we fight for those crispy bits.
MORE DELICOUS ZUCCHINI TO TRY
Roast these for about 10 to 15 minutes or until they're crispy and golden. You are going to love these Parmesan roasted zucchini. Yup, you are.
You can eat this as a meal served with a simple salad or as a side. You’re gonna love this parmesan roasted zucchini. Oh yes you are.
Don't they look spectacular? When you take a bite, your eyes may roll back and you may involuntarily let out a slight moan. Yup. I've seen it happen with my own eyes. Guests moaning all over the place!!
MORE DELICIOUS VEGETABLE OPTIONS
- Grilled vegetables with feta and balsamic vinaigrette
- Simple silky smooth gazpacho
- Curry roasted cauliflower
- Roasted spiced sweet potato planks
- Silky smooth carrot puree
- Roasted asparagus with mozzarella
- Cauliflower pancakes
- Roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon
Life is too short for mediocre food.
HAVE YOU TRIED THESE?
PIN THIS RECIPE FOR PARMESAN ROASTED ZUCCHINI TO SAVE FOR LATER.
CHECK OUT MY SHOP FOR PRODUCTS I RECOMMEND
FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES!
PARMESAN ROASTED ZUCCHINIPRINT PIN SAVE
- 2 pounds zucchini* 1 large, 2 - 3 medium, or about 3 - 4 small
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Extra virgin oil for drizzling
- 6 tablespoons butter**
- 1 sweet onion (I use Vidalia) diced (medium in size - about 1 cup)
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup mozzarella shredded
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese 1 ounce
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Kosher salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven 425°.
- Slice the ends of the zucchini then slice each one in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds using a spoon creating a small channel for the stuffing. Set zucchini halves on a baking sheet. You can line a baking sheet with parchment or foil for easy cleanup if you wish.
- Drizzle cut side of zucchini with olive oil and lemon juice. Sprinkle evenly with a good pinch of salt. Place them cut side down and roast them for 10 - 15 minutes. See Notes.
Meanwhile, prepare the filling:
- In a skillet over medium high heat, melt the butter and saute the onions until softened, about 5 - 8 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Remove from heat.
- In a bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs, cheeses, and parsley. Add the onion mixture and toss until the crumbs are coated. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper.
- Set the roasted zucchini cut side up and spoon the mixture evenly into them.
- Bake for an additional 10 - 15 minutes or until the breadcrumbs are crispy and golden.
I don't post the nutritional value because I don't trust the accuracy of the nutritional apps. I’m not a nutritionist and don't want to post misinformation.
MORE DELICIOUS SIDES
See More Sides →