Chicken and Mushrooms is an incredibly delicious dinner with tremendous flavor that will blow your mind. Serve with rice and make sure to pour a generous amount of that mushroom gravy over it. Perfect for a weeknight dinner or one to impress company.
This is one of my absolute favorite meals and it was one that my Dad would make every year for my birthday. I haven’t had it since he passed almost 2 years ago and frankly, I never really paid attention to how he made it because I thought he would make it for me forever. I had to recreate it myself using scratch ingredients and channeling my Dad. I was able to create a chicken and mushroom dinner that would have made him proud.
He used whole cut up chickens and everyone would grab their favorite cut. I only love the breasts so for this recipe I use skin-on, bone-in chicken breasts, but you can use any cut you like. Using bone-in will deliver more flavor and honestly, the skin is browned but not crispy because it will be bathed in all that mushroom gravy. The purpose of keeping and browning the skin is to render that fat and use it to cook the onions, mushrooms and garlic. Only 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil are used in this dish because of the skin.
Ingredients for chicken and mushrooms:
- Bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts deliver more flavor.
- White wine for deglazing all that deliciousness from browning the chicken and sautéing the onions, garlic and mushrooms.
- Chicken stock is added because that is the base of the sauce. Use homemade or a low sodium.
- Sweet onions are sautéed until translucent and starting to color. I use Vidalia onions for cooking.
- Lots of garlic because we love garlic.
- Spices used are simply kosher salt, thyme, and pepper.
- Flour thickens the sauce.
- A little heavy cream is added for richness.
You are gonna love this chicken and mushrooms. I love and miss you Dad.
If you love chicken, then you need to try:
- Simple Chicken Cordon Bleu
- Broiled Garlic Mustard Chicken Breasts
- Crispy Baked Chicken Tenders
- Simple Roast Chicken
- Slow Roasted Chicken
- Adobo Seasoned Crack Wings
Life is too short for mediocre food.
This post contains affiliate links for the products I use in my kitchen.
Chicken and MushroomsPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Season the chicken with some salt and pepper.
- Add oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil starts to ripple, add the chicken breasts skin side down and brown for about 3 – 4 minutes. Flip and brown the other side. We’re not looking to cook them through because they will continue to cook in the sauce later.
- Once the skin is golden brown, remove the chicken and transfer to a bowl. Set aside.
For the Mushroom Sauce:
- Add the onions to the pan and cook until the onion is translucent and starts to have some color. Add garlic when they become fragrant, add the mushrooms and cook until they start to release their liquid. Once that happens they’ll start to brown and the liquid will start to evaporate.
- Pour in the white wine and cook until the wine evaporates.
- Sprinkle in the flour, the 2 teaspoons of salt, 1 teaspoon of pepper, and thyme. Stir and cook for a minute or two until the flour starts to stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Slowly stir in the broth and continue stirring until there are no lumps of flour and it combines into a sauce.
- Nestle in the chicken breasts and simmer, covered, for about 25 – 30 minutes. The sauce will thicken and the chicken will cook. After about 30 minutes, lift up one of the breasts and you’ll see the tender part of the chicken breast separate and that’s when the chicken is cooked through.
- Transfer the chicken onto a bowl or platter.
- Stir in the heavy cream into the mushroom sauce. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
- When the sauce begins to thicken, Add the chicken back into the pan and spoon some sauce over each one.
- Serve with rice and spoon the mushroom sauce over chicken and rice.