Sweet and Spicy BBQ Rub delivers the perfect amount of salty, sweet, and spice to ribs, chops, brisket, chicken, pork, beans, veggies, and anything you want to flavor with BBQ.
I created this recipe by adding a little of this and that, tasting along the way, until I was satisfied with the flavor. It was so good, I couldn’t stop tasting it. This does have a little heat because of the cayenne. If heat isn’t your thing, don’t add it. There’s plenty of flavor in the rub.
This is the same rub I use on my Oven Baked BBQ Pork Tenderloin. Mix a little of this rub with some apricot jam and you have a deliciously simple BBQ sauce. Don’t stop at apricot, use whichever fruit jam or preserves you like.
A lot of purists don’t add salt to their rubs because salt does draw out moisture. Instead, they add it right before cooking or afterwards. I find having it in the rub convenient and also find it doesn’t affect the nature of the meat. The flavor is good and the salt is mixed in with all the other flavors. You will find rubs at the market with added salt also – again because it’s convenient. Now there’s no need to buy it at the market as you can make it fresh at home. There’s no preservatives or additives.
Sprinkle as much as you like on the meat and massage it in. Sometimes I have Barry White playing in the background… Have I told you how important it is to have music playing when you cook? Cooking shouldn’t be a chore. Have some fun in the kitchen!
Be happy, eat well…
Sweet and Spicy BBQ RubPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- ½ cup light brown sugar packed
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons granulated garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- In a bowl, mix all the rub ingredients until combined.
- Sprinkle and rub on ribs, brisket, chicken, pork, or chops.
- Can be added to baked beans to enhance flavor. Add to your taste.
- Use on anything you want to add delicious BBQ flavor.
- Store any leftovers in an air tight container.