Crunchy and nutty pumpkin spice granola, sweetened with maple syrup and a touch of brown sugar and loaded with all the flavors of fall.
Pumpkin spice is all the rage this time of year but this pumpkin spice granola is so good, it should be enjoyed all year long. Many recipes contain pumpkin puree, but when experimenting, I found pumpkin puree didn’t add much flavor and made the granola lose its crunch. Also, if you stored it for more than a day, it became soft and gummy. Not what I was looking for in a pumpkin spice granola – or any granola for that matter.
All you need to add that pumpkin spice flavor is – well you’ve guessed it – pumpkin spice! You can make your own pumpkin spice mix or use store-bought.
This recipe has the basics of oats, pepitas, pecans, maple syrup and pumpkin spice. Along with the basics I added puffed rice or crispy rice cereal for added crunch. I like to use a combination of whole oats and quick oats. Rolled oats give that familiar granola look but the quick oats add some volume and makes it easier to chew. That is an actual comment from one of my taste testers. Adding pure maple syrup and just a touch of brown sugar is just enough sweetener to make it addictive and also the secret to creating chunks.
Try this with yogurt or as a topping for ice cream. Have it as a breakfast cereal or just grab a handful and enjoy. You’re gonna love this pumpkin spice granola.
Here are some more breakfast treats:
- Easy homemade granola
- Blueberry yogurt parfaits with homemade granola
- Best blueberry muffins
- French toast casserole
- Maple scones
- Bakery style corn muffins
- Perfect pancakes
- Strawberry cream scones
- German pancakes
- Eggs in purgatory
Life is too short for mediocre food.
This post contains affiliate links for the products I use in my kitchen.
Pumpkin Spice GranolaPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 3 cups oats I use 2 cups rolled and 1 cup quick
- 1 cup puffed rice - unsweetened can substitute crispy rice cereal
- 1 tablespoon Pumpkin Spice
- ½ cup raw pumpkin seeds - pepitas
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- pinch salt
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 6 tablespoons oil safflower or canola
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Combine oats, rice puffs, spice, pepitas, pecans and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- In a small saucepan, heat the maple syrup, oil, brown sugar. Stir until brown sugar is dissolved then remove from heat. Alternatively, in a 2 cup glass measuring cup, pour in maple syrup and oil. Add in brown sugar. Heat for 1 to 2 minutes, depending on your microwave, stirring halfway to dissolve brown sugar. Add in vanilla. It might bubble so be careful.
- Add vanilla. It might bubble so be careful.
- Pour syrup mixture over oat mixture and stir to combine.
- Spread evenly on a baking sheet and bake for 30 to 40 minutes until golden brown. Depending on your oven, you may need to stir granola halfway through for even coloring.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely. Break it up into chunks.
- Store in an airtight container. It will last about two weeks but I'm sure it won't last that long.