Parmesan tomato casserole is a great way to use all those fresh tomatoes from your garden. Fresh chopped tomatoes are tossed with herbs, then finished with a garlic flavored breadcrumb topping for texture and crunch.
Our tomatoes come in late August up until late September, and when they come in, we get them all at once. That’s when I start to use them up in sandwiches, tomato salads, and of course, this casserole.
This is a very simple dish to prepare and pairs with just about anything. The ingredients for the casserole are pretty basic - chopped tomatoes, panko breadcrumbs, fresh minced garlic cloves, fresh herbs, and some Parmesan or Romano cheese.
You can use just about any tomato you like, but using plum tomatoes will release less liquid. You will notice I add a tablespoon of flour which may sound odd. If using tomatoes that have more liquid, the flour will thicken the juices slightly. This is totally optional.
I use panko breadcrumbs for a crunchier topping. If using regular breadcrumbs, reduce the amount by ¼ cup since the finer texture of breadcrumbs will give you more in volume when measured out.
Butter is used instead of olive oil because frankly, it tasted better. I’ve made it with both and opted for butter. As for the cheese, you can use Parmesan or Romano. I use whichever one I have. Just note that Romano is a little saltier.
Love tomatoes? Then you need to try:
Try some of my other vegetable dishes:
- Grilled vegetables with feta and balsamic vinaigrette
- Simple silky smooth gazpacho
- Curry roasted cauliflower
- Roasted spiced sweet potato planks
- Silky smooth carrot puree
- Roasted asparagus with mozzarella
- Cauliflower pancakes
- Roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon
- Parmesan roasted zucchini
Life is too short for mediocre food.
Parmesan Tomato CasserolePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
For crumb topping:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 - 3 garlic cloves finely minced
- ¾ cup panko breadcrumbs See Notes
- ¼ cup Parmesan or Romano cheese
- Preheat oven 400°.
- In a skillet over medium high heat, melt butter and sauté garlic until fragrant - about 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add filling ingredients and toss to combine.
- Transfer into a small casserole dish or an 8x8-inch pan.
- Top with breadcrumb mixture, spreading it out evenly.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Serve.
More Delicious Sides
See More Sides →